Decks are usually built to enhance garden landscaping and extend your home’s living space. Whether your family and friends are popping champagne, or you want to restore inner peace by savoring the unique view, a functional deck will definitely help you attain that. So, if you have an existing one, but it is worn out and in poor condition, don’t think of tearing it all down immediately. Cost-effective remodeling with brand new decking, rails and other add-ons is totally an option for you. In this way, you can save money for your next celebration.
Is It Time to Restore Your Old Deck?
Before you proceed to deck construction, there are some important things to consider first.
- Footing: Carefully examine your deck footings, and see if they are too shallow. Usual indication of this is a “lifted” appearance.
- Wood: Treated lumber commonly used to frame decks should last for decades. But treated or not, if a screwdriver penetrates into it, decay will always start. Replacing your deck is the best option.
- Details: A solid connection is indicated by at least one lag screw or bolt into the ledger between each pair of joists. However, depending on the size of the deck, your local exterior improvement experts may call for more.
Upgrading Your Deck Space
Breathe new life into your home by investing in handsome add-ons and special features for your deck.
- Hidden fasteners: Even when installed carefully, deck screws can leave tiny depressions that splinter edges and trap dirt. Use hidden fasteners instead to sustain your deck and add value to your property.
- Style with planters: Often made with the same material as the decking, planters add both texture and function to your old deck. You can decorate them with green plants and use them as a divider between cooking and seating areas. Drainage is necessary for built-in types, but with expert deck builders, you won’t have to worry about maintenance.
- Cable railings: Deck railings offer architectural designs to complement the look of your exterior space. But when the decking surface is lower than at least two feet above the ground, railings can obstruct your scenic view. This is when thin stainless steel cables or cable railings are installed to preserve the look.
Our talented team at GO Construction Services, LLC can help you with rebuilding roofing, sliders, gutters and more. Backed by outstanding workmanship guarantees, our roof and siding installers make sure to only deliver high-caliber products and services.
Contact us for home improvement solutions at (717) 740-2002, or fill out our contact form. Request a free estimate now! We proudly serve homeowners throughout Central Pennsylvania.